Monday, April 3, 2023

Beauty and the Beast

  CHAPTER 5

A PRISON FOR A HOME

 

Belle heard voices outside her door. And not voices raised in anger as that beast's had been, these sounded curious and even… kind. Kindness in the beast's castle? She must be hearing things. A strange tapping knocked on her door.

Hello? She opened her bedroom door but didn't see anyone there. Hmm, she had expected it to be locked. "I guess I'm less of a prisoner than I thought." She said aloud to herself.

"A prisoner? Mais non! You are our guest!" The heavily accented male voice said from below her knee. 

"Oh, I didn't see you there!" Belle exclaimed as she looked down expecting a dwarf, but this was a… she rubbed her eyes and looked again. Yep, it was a talking candlestick.

"Now, now dearie, you've had quite a shock. Why don't you come down to dinner and let us take care of you for a while?" A motherly voice asked from Belle's other side. A teapot, it was a teapot. 

I must have fallen asleep. I must be dreaming. Things can't talk. And not only that, but now that I'm looking at them, these things seem to have faces. And they were smiling at her. Well, it could be worse, they could be as horrible as that beast had been.

"I'm not hungry. I really couldn't eat anything. But thank you." Belle's stomach was in knots, full of fear and sadness. She did accept the teapot, who had introduced herself as Mrs. Potts, to pour her a cup of lavender chamomile tea to help her sleep. As Belle sipped from the cup, she heard giggling. The teacup wiggled in her grasp.

"Now, Chip, hold still son, you'll make our guest spill her tea."

"But mama, it tickles!" The teacup replied.

Mama? How strange that the Beast would make some of the household objects into children.

After spending a little time warming up to the kindness shown to her, she suggested, “Maybe can tour the castle a little before bed.”

“That’s a lovely idea, child. We do want you to feel at home here.”

Before she could leave her room, however, a stout clock waddled into the room. "Ahem. It is time for bed."

Fulbright, the candlestick, came up behind him "Elgin, it is her first night here, don't be so wound up about the rules. Relax a little."

"Rules are rules for a reason"

"Rules were made to be broken"

“That’s all right. I'm sure I’ll have endless time to explore later.” She yawned, and feigned exhaustion. After thanking each of them on their way out of her room, she quickly shut her bedroom door and landed against it. There was no way she was going to wait for later to learn more about the place she was ensnared. After several minutes of silence to be sure they were gone, she snuck back out to explore.

She felt small walking down the corridor with its high ceilings and wide hallway. She peaked her head into countless doors finding other bedrooms and washrooms close to her own room. But the farther she walked the more diverse the rooms became. She trailed her hand along the wall to help her keep track of where she was and how to get back to her room.

She came to an open area with the most incredible staircase across from her. It had exquisite craftsmanship on the railings. She was drawn to it, even though it led up to a dark and eerie corridor. When she reached the top on the stairs, shivers ran down her spine as she gazed at the neglected area.

What could this area be?

The Beast sat brooding in the dark wreck that used to be his bedroom. When the curse had first taken over his body, he destroyed everything around him in his pain and anger. He had felt like that again earlier. 

Out of control. 

He thought he had grown past that. He worked so hard to get his rages under control. Sometimes he felt like there was a stranger in his mind. The dark tonight matched his mood. What a first impression he must’ve made. After his outburst, she was probably cowering in her room and would never speak to him again. He despaired of ever breaking the curse.

A sliver of light pierced the darkness. Someone had opened his bedroom door. It couldn't be the servants; they had learned long ago not to disturb him during one of his dark moods. And the behavior had stuck even as he thought he had grown better over time. None of them would dare to enter the west wing. Could it be her? Was she brave enough to venture out and explore the castle she had just been imprisoned in? 

"Hello?" Her hesitant voice echoed through the room. "Is anyone there?"

"Hello, Belle." At his voice she turned to run, but he continued quickly "I'm glad you came. I need to apologize for earlier."

She stopped and turned back to him. "You're apologizing to me? Do you think an apology will make up for imprisoning my father? For taking away my freedom?"

"No, I can't begin to make up for it. But I hope you'll forgive me someday."

"Does this mean that you've decided to let me go?"

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Why not? Why do you want me here?"

He remained silent.

"Am I to become another of your servants?"

"No, I have enough servants."

"Then what?"

"Belle, will you marry me?"

She turned and ran.

Marry that beast? Was that why he wanted her? 

She shuddered at the thought. Belle ran all the way back to her bedroom and locked the door. She resolved to stay as far away from the Beast and his crazy ideas as she could. As her breathing quieted and her heartbeats slowed, a little voice in her mind whispered that he had asked and not demanded. And what's more, he had apologized. Her final thought as she drifted off to sleep was: 

Maybe he's not a total beast after all.

The next morning, Belle woke feeling surprisingly refreshed after sleeping on the most comfortable bed she'd ever slept on! 

She rose and dressed for the day in a simple dress that she found in the wardrobe. Just as she felt ready to venture out, there was a knock at the door. Belle opened it to find Mrs. Potts. 

"Good morning, dear. I brought you a spot of morning tea and a simple breakfast."

"Oh, breakfast isn't served in the dining hall?"

"No, we keep breakfast a bit more simple to give the staff time to rest as well."

"And the Beast puts up with that?"

"It was his idea. He said it wasn't necessary for us to keep doing elaborate meals now that it was just him. But the master has asked that you join him for dinner each night. The rest of the day is yours to do as you wish."

"And what if I prefer to eat in my room?"

"Then the master would be disappointed, but he won't force you. You may not believe this, but the master has a lot of respect for freedom of choice."

"I'm supposed to believe that, even though I'm trapped here."

"We're all trapped here, dearie," Mrs. Potts said sadly as she left the room.

So, she expected Belle to believe that the Beast valued freedom, even though he had trapped all the servants in the castle as well? Would a magical creation feel trapped? Maybe those were others who had previously happened upon this enchanted castle. Maybe Belle needed to worry about getting turned into a dinner bell if she refused to eat with him.

After spending the day familiarizing herself with the gardens, Belle nervously entered the dining hall for dinner with the Beast. He was already seated at a small table for two. As she approached, he half stood, but she hurried to sit before he could offer to get her chair.

"Good evening, Belle."

"Hello."

"How did you spend your day?"

"I explored the gardens and the grounds. Being outside under the big blue sky, I could almost forget the fact that I'm a prisoner here." She gave him a defiant look.

“And what do you plan to do tomorrow?”

“I guess I'll spend my day in my room, staring out the window and longing for home.” Belle was almost disappointed that the Beast didn't respond to her snide tone. 

Instead, he said, “What would you be doing if you were home instead of here.”

“Oh, probably helping my father to make sure he didn't blow up the house.” Thinking about her father's antics brought a nostalgic smile to Belle's lips.

“Does he have a problem with pyrotechnics?”

“Uh,” she was surprised at that question. “Well, no. It’s just that sometimes his inventions get carried away.”

“I didn’t realize he was an inventor.”

“Yes, he was on his way to a fair to show off his latest contraption when–” she couldn’t bring herself to finish. They sat in silence for a few moments.

“What do you enjoy doing when your time is your own?”

“Mostly reading. I love escaping into a good book. It's too bad I didn't bring any reading material to the castle with me, although I didn’t know I’d be staying. I guess I'll have to find something new to occupy my time.”

"Come with me." The Beast stood and waited for Belle to do the same. Then he led the way through the castle back to the west wing. Belle hesitated as he started down that hallway. She didn't want to go back to his room with him. The Beast noticed her pause and said, "There's a room I want you to see, one that I don't believe you've explored yet."

Belle followed him to an arched doorway at the bottom of the stairwell that she had climbed the night before that led her to find the Beast. He opened the door for she could see inside. Belle gasped in surprised excitement. The room was full of books! 

"This is amazing! I've never seen anything like this. So many books!"

"Belle, will you marry me?"

She ran back to her room. It took her a long time to fall asleep that night, even on the softest bed in the world.

The next day, Mrs. Potts brought something extra with the morning tea. A slim volume of poetry sat on the breakfast tray. Belle picked it up and a note fell out.

You left before picking out a book last night. I hope you enjoy these poems. They have been a comfort to me. -B

The Beast reads? Belle was perplexed at the different aspects of the Beast she had seen. Was he the monster who terrorized her father, the evil sorcerer who imprisoned a castle full of people, or someone who treated her with kindness and found comfort in poetry? 

She barely noticed Mrs. Potts slipping out as she settled down to read. She was still immersed in the book at lunch time, which she ate in her room after being brought a tray by Fulbright. She finished mid-afternoon, and immediately read from the beginning, this time focusing specifically on trying to find the "comforting" ones. What would they reveal about this Beast that she was trapped with?

That night Belle eagerly left her room to join the Beast for dinner. She wanted to know if her guesses about his favorite poems were correct. 

"Good evening, Belle"

"Good evening. I finished the book you lent me."

"And what were your thoughts?"

"There's quite a variety of sentiments expressed throughout the book. I found myself wondering which were your favorites."

The Beast's face took on an expression she hadn't seen on him before. Was that a smile?

"I enjoy several of the poems and take comfort in them because the book was one my mother gave me before she died. For years I couldn't bring myself to open it because it made me remember the bad days around her death, but once I finally read it, I felt more connected to her. In particular, the poem, 'The Debate Between Villon and His Heart' spoke to me. Or I should say, it felt like my mother was speaking to me." He quoted a few lines:

Who's that I hear?

It's me —Who? —Your heart

Hanging on by the thinnest thread

I lose all my strength, substance, and fluid

When I see you withdrawn this way all alone

Like a whipped cur sulking in the corner

 

"That was the moment I started to change. Although you may see me as such, I don't want to be the villain in my own story."

Belle didn't know what to say. She was surprised at how open the Beast had been with her. She ate a few bites of her food while she thought of how to respond. It was delicious. She had been curious about the Beast before and why a creature such as he would need comfort. She didn't expect to relate and empathize with him.

"I lost my own mother and my twin brother, but I was so young, at only seven, I barely remember them. I suppose that's part of the reason I'm so close with my father."

She frowned and trailed off as she thought of her Papa. How could she sit here having a pleasant conversation with his captor? With her captor? How could she be feeling anything other than fear and anger toward him? Seeing that she had grown pensive, the Beast let her sit in silence for a while. 

They finished the meal and Belle rose from her seat. Maybe if she left now, she could avoid the question she feared was coming.

"Will you marry me, Belle?"

She fled.

Every day was a new adventure. Whether she spent the whole day reading or took time to explore different parts of the castle, she was never bored but rather excited to discover what else this new life had to offer.

There were rooms in the castle that were dedicated to different places in the world that seemed to transport her to beautiful and exotic places like Italy, Spain, and the East. There was a game room, a swimming pool, and the most beautiful ballroom. 

Each morning the Beast sent her a new book on her breakfast tray.  Then they would discuss the book over dinner. Belle was continually surprised by how knowledgeable and well-spoken the Beast was. And, she grudgingly admitted, how kind and thoughtful as well. But every night as the meal wound down, the Beast asked the same question and every night Belle left without answering him. 

First draft of this chapter was written by my sister, Becky Walton. 


Illustrated and Edited by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment