Monday, November 2, 2015

Clerkship

I am particular about language. People say I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, but I think it's more than that. Or just different. I don't so much care how many commas there are in a sentence, but I do get obsessive about words people use. Like when people say I in place of me.

Last week, Becky came to visit the girls and me. 
Yes, it's me - not I. Becky did not come to visit I. Okay, sorry! Back to the point.

During law school, Austin did a few externships. That means he got school credit for legal work he did at various places including a courthouse and a public interest law firm. You're thinking that is called an internship. Yes, but because it was legal in nature and for law school credit it is called an externship. That's the term for it.

Now that he is graduated, he is doing a clerkship. No, this is not a clerical position. He is doing legal research and work for the Goldwater Institute in Phoenix. He has important responsibilities that are the same as a lawyer would have. It is meant to give experience, much like an externship, only instead of getting school credit, he gets paid.

Our plan for after law school was to not move to Arizona. Basically anywhere else was an option, but having grown up in the heat of Arizona, it was just not an appealing option. We thought a lot about Washington, D.C. and Utah. I started getting a feeling that he should look at jobs in Arizona somewhere around the time of his graduation. I didn't know why, but I kept telling him to check there. Then when this clerkship came up it just felt right. Our next feat was to find housing. Miraculously, our sister-in-law posted an apartment listing on Facebook the week we had to finish our decision making. It all just came together.

The sad part about leaving Utah was leaving my job teaching art. I got a very similar job in Gilbert that I am really excited about. And, of course, I also have the freelance projects that come up frequently. I am glad to have a place to be creative and share my talents with others. Notice I said creative and not crafty. I am an artist with a degree. I am creative. I do not have magical powers, green skin, or a cauldron. I also don't scrapbook. I am not crafty.

No comments:

Post a Comment